Navigate routes on your phone, without cell service using the Ride with GPS mobile app. Download turn-by-turn directions and offline maps before any adventure to save data, and battery life. Set your phone to airplane or Offline mode to ride untethered.
- Select the route you want to download.
- Tap the Save button.
- Tap Download for Offline.
Take note: Downloading a route for offline use will also Pin the route to your account.
- At the bottom of the screen tap the Library icon.
- From the top option, select Offline.
You'll see offline designation on routes that have been downloaded. Routes with a cuesheet icon will give you turn-by-turn navigation. A cuesheet is necessary for the app to give you voice navigation. If the route does not have a cuesheet, you will still have a map.
- Put your phone in Airplane Mode, or set the app to Offline Mode (under More > Settings).
- Access a route from your Offline library (see above for steps).
- Tap the Navigate button to start voice navigation.
- Tap the Remove option to remove the downloaded copy from your device.
This will not delete or unpin the route from your account, but will only remove the offline copy.
- Use the three-dot menu on the right side of the route to Share, Navigate, Remove, or Unpin.
This doesn't delete the route, just removes the downloaded copy.
- Open the event.
- Tap the menu icon in the upper right corner.
- Select Download All.
You'll be taken to your Offline Library section and see all the routes queued up for download.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I change the downloaded map style?
- At this time the map type is restricted to RWGPS which is based on the Open Street Maps data.
Why is my offline map blurry?
Make sure your map style is set to RWGPS, this is the only map layer that will download. We provide up to 17x zoom on these downloaded maps, and you'll be able to view all map names and features clearly, but after the 17x zoom level you will experience some pixelation.
- What is the range of the offline map tiles?
- The maps will download for the entire length of the route and about a screen's width from the route. This will give you enough map to get back on track should you miss a turn or want to explore a bit.
- Can I just download an entire state/country?
- Not at this time. Map tiles are linked to the route itself.
- How do I delete an Offline Map?
- When viewing your Offline Library, tap Remove.
- How much data will this use?
- The data usage in downloading a map will vary depending on the length and geographic coverage of a route. A typical 60 mile route will take about 20MB of space. With a broadband connection speed, the download should only take a couple of minutes, but make sure to wait until it says "Downloaded" before starting navigation or activating Airplane Mode.
- How do I update downloaded maps?
- Viewing the updated route on your device while you are connect to cellular or wifi will automatically update the route that you have downloaded.