Activities recorded in Ride with GPS include a host of data points that shed light on distance, speed, elevation, and more. Let’s dive into the data from a ride recording and learn how to use this information to look back on your ride.
To view your Ride Library, log into your account on the website, and click Rides on the main Dashboard menu on the left side of your screen.
What’s a ride?
Available Metrics and Definitions
Metrics measured in RWGPS or a compatible GPS computer:
- Distance: Total ride distance. To switch between metric and imperial measurements, look under Settings > Units.
- Elevation: Total elevation loss and gain.
- Max Grade: Steepest gradient or slope traversed along this route.
- Avg Grade: Average gradient or slope throughout ride.
- Total Duration: Total trip time duration, including stops.
- Moving Time: Total portion of trip time spent moving, excluding stopped time.
- Stopped Time: Total portion of trip duration spent stopped.
- Max Speed: The top speed hit during this ride.
- Avg Speed: Your moving speed, averaged over the entire ride duration.
- VAM: VAM stands for velocità ascensionale media, and can be translated as "Vertical Ascent in Meters". VAM refers to the speed of elevation gain in meters per hour, or (meters ascended x 60) / number of minutes ascended.
- Ascent Time: Total time spent climbing.
- Descent Time: Total time spent descending.
- Pace: The average amount of time it takes to complete one mile during the total duration of your ride, including stopped time.
- Moving Pace: The average amount of time per mile for your ride, not including stopped time.
- Calories: This is an estimate of caloric energy expended on the ride. Note: you’ll need to fill out some Health Info on your Ride with GPS profile to provide some details on your body composition and cardio health. This helps us estimate caloric burn on a ride.
Metrics Requiring a Bluetooth heart rate monitor:
- Max Heart Rate: Top heart rate recorded on the trip.
- Min Heart Rate: Lowest heart rate recorded on the trip.
- Avg Heart Rate: Average heart rate over the entire trip.
- HR Zone 1: Trip time spent in HR Zone 1. This is 50-60% of your max HR and represents very light aerobic intensity.
- HR Zone 2: Trip time spent in HR Zone 2. This is 60-70% of your max HR and represents light aerobic intensity.
- HR Zone 3: Trip time spent in HR Zone 3. This is 70-80% of your max HR and represents moderate aerobic intensity.
- HR Zone 4: Trip time spent in HR Zone 4. This is 80-90% of your max HR and represents hard aerobic intensity.
- HR Zone 5: Trip time spent in HR Zone 5. This is 90-100% of your max HR and represents maximum aerobic intensity.
Metrics Requiring a Bluetooth power meter:
- Max Watts: Top power output from your trip.
- Avg Watts: Average power output over the duration of your trip.
- WR Power: Work reflected power, or your trip’s normalized power rating.
- Work: Energy output from your trip, measured in kJ.
Metrics Requiring a Bluetooth cadence sensor:
- Max Cadence: Top number of pedal revolutions per minute.
- Min Cadence: Lowest number of pedal revolutions per minute.
- Avg Cadence: Average pedal revolutions per minute over the course of your trip.
Training for elevation gain? Look to the Climbs section to see any portions of your ride that include a significant elevation gain that is longer than a half-mile (800 meters) and at least a 3% gain. Climbs are also available on routes.
The Descents section highlights all significant elevation loss longer than a half-mile (800 meters) and greater than -3% decline. Note that descents are also available on routes.